Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Green Grass

When you're with people that are amazed with things that you've done and seen many times over, it makes you feel pretty cool. It becomes irritating when these people that are having a new experience make it clear that they know much more about these things than you. It may be true that these people have read a book or two more than me on the topic, but I have experienced it time after time, and regardless of what is read in a book, real life experience is much more valid. I wouldn't want a surgeon that read a book about to tell me how to do surgery when they never actually opened up a cadaver, if I had actually had experience in surgery. The same goes for what people tell me in an everyday situation. I don't want someone to tell me about something they've read about but never experienced, when I have experienced it.

In my experience the same type of people have constantly been the ones to do this. I won't say which ones, although they can primarily be found at universities and protests. They assume they know because they have gone to school, when in actuality they know only as much as they've done, which is nothing. These are the people that would rather argue their case than listen to the other side. If there is a rare occasion when they do listen, they're likely to discredit anything said after it is said, no matter how valid it may be.

Some venting. People are idiots, especially around here. Never have I known a more pretentious group of people than the ones that claim the majority of this area.

No comments: